The Belmont was a sternwheel wooden hull packet(153x31x4.5) built in California, PA and finished in Pittsburgh in 1856. Capt George Washington Ebert was her first master and part owner with others principally from Georgetown, PA. The Belmont was used in the Pittsburgh to Cincinnati to St Louis commerce.
In the spring of 1859, Capt SC Trimble bought control. On May 7, 1859 while moored at the Pittsburgh wharf, a fire burned a number of boats. The Belmont moved to safety in mid river unscathed, but the wind blew her alongside the burning JH Conn and these two packets burned together.
 Frederick Way, Jr.,Way’s Packet Directory, 1848-1994, (Ohio University Press, Athens 1994), p. 46.
Copyright © Francis W Nash
All Rights Reserved